- “Keith Carried a Clutch:” Gay Men and the Power of the Purse, Berkshires Conference on Women, Genders, and Sexualities, Santa Clara University, Jun 2023
- “They Things They Carried: The Possibilities of Purses in Queer History,” National Women’s Studies Association, Minneapolis, Nov 2022.
- “Queer History and the Possibilities of Purses,” Christopher Newport University, Invited Speaker, LGBTQ+ History Month, Oct 2022
Past Scholarly Presentations
“‘I Have Got My Pocketbook By My Machine:’ Working Women: Place, Space, and Women’s Pocketbooks at the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory,” American Historical Association, New Orleans, Jan 2022
- “Women’s Work, Clothing, and Contestations of Power in America and Africa,” Panel Organizer, American Historical Association, New Orleans, Jan 2022
- “Sacks, Bags, and Purses: Enslaved’ Women’s Pursuit of Freedom and Privacy in the Mid-Nineteenth Century,” Presenter, Institute of Modern Languages Research, School of Advanced Study, University of London, Dec 2021
- “Promising Pedagogies,” Panel Chair, American Studies Association annual conference, Baltimore, MD, November 2020 (cancelled due to Covid-19)
- “The Power of the Purse: Resistance and Repression in Mid-Twentieth Century America,” Panel Organizer, “Gendered Objects: Identity, Agency, and Activism through Material Culture. ”Berkshires Conference on Women, Genders, and Sexualities, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, May 2020 (cancelled due to Covid-19
- “Purses and the Politics of Resistance,” American Studies Association, Honolulu, Nov 2019
- “The Performative Role of the Purse in American Visual Culture, 1890-1920,” The Berkshire Conference on Women, Genders, and Sexualities, Hofstra University, June 2017
- “The Things She Carried,” National Endowment for the Humanities, Summer Institute, Bard Graduate Center, July 2015
- “Women and the Power of the Purse,” Works in Progress, Regional Interdisciplinary Conference of Feminist Scholarship, Virginia Wesleyan College, March 2015
- “The Promises and Perils of Teaching the History of Fun,” American Historical Association, New York City, January 2015
- “Performing the Primitive in a Nerve-Wracked World,” Western Association of Women’s Historians Conference, Polytechnic University, Pomona, California, May 2014
- “The Prettiest Woman on the Stage is a Man,” Popular Culture Association/American Cultural Association, Washington D.C., March 2013
- “Sex, Savagery and the Woman Who Made Vaudeville Famous”, Women, Professions, and Politics: A Historical Symposium in Memory of Lynn D. Gordon, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY, October 2012.
- “‘She is What She Aint:’ Lillyn Brown and the Meaning of Black Male Impersonation,” The Berkshire Conference on the History of Women, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, June 2011.
- “‘She is What She Aint:’ Lillyn Brown and the Meaning of Black Male Impersonation,” Keynote Speaker, Susan B. Anthony Institute Undergraduate Research Conference, April 2011.
- “‘Making a Woman of Himself:’ Julian Eltinge and the Art of Female Impersonation,” InvitedSpeaker, Humanities and Social Sciences Lecture Series, Schenectady Community College, March 2011
- “‘I Don’t Care:’ The Gender and Racial Transgressions of the Irreverent Eva Tanguay,” The Futures of American Studies Institute, Dartmouth College, June 2009.
- “Cross Dressers and Race Crossers: Blackness and Gender on the American Popular Stage,” The Susan B. Anthony Institute’s Annual Interdisciplinary Graduate Conference, University of Rochester, March 2007.
● Presenter and co-organizer, “A Brief History of Abortion,” Robert Nusbaum Center, AAUW, Gender, Women and Sexuality Studies Program, Virginia Wesleyan University, Sept 2022.
● Invited presenter/consultant, “Exploring the Intersection of Gender and Race in Academia,” Equity in Academia Series, Children’s National Hospital, George Washington University, June 2022
● Invited Presenter, Women’s History and Equality Commemoration, Invited Speaker, Norfolk, VA Naval Base, August 2021
● Invited Presenter, “Race, Gender, and the Fight for Women’s Suffrage, 1890-1920,” Invited Speaker, Virginia Beach Historical Society, Virginia Beach, VA, March 2018
● Invited Presenter, “Apparel in American History,” Four-part series, Institute for Lifelong Learning, Westminster-Canterbury Retirement Community, Virginia Beach, VA, November 2017